A nice breakfast idea from the sister...
"This was created out of needing to use up some very ripe bananas and wanting to make something that would travel well on my long train commute to work. It's not too sweet and holds together well - great for a breakfast on the go. It's quite a heavy texture before being baked but don't worry as the peanut butter and bananas keep it moist. This would also be great with a handful of seeds added to the mix. This literally takes a few minutes to prepare and is fresher and tastier than mass produced breakfast biscuits and muffins."
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup mashed ripe banana
1/2 cup buttermilk/soured milk (just add squeeze of lemon to normal milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup grated/desiccated coconut
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Grease and flour a 2lb loaf tin.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- Add all other ingredients and beat with an electric mixture on high for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour mixture into the tin.
- Bake at 175.c for approx 40-50 minutes - until skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool before serving a large slice with an nice cup of earl grey or strong black coffee.