This recipe is a bit of a family favourite, it's no fail and delicious. My sister writes about here.
"This recipe is adapted from Marcella Hazan's Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking. I discovered this recipe about 10 years ago via its inclusion in cook book Dishy.
You need never buy ready made sauce again. This is so fresh, simple, tasty and cheap. A really delicious and helpful addition to your cooking repertoire.
This recipe serves 6
2lb ripe tomatoes (deskinned and chopped)
or 2 large tins chopped tomatoes
5 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, peeled and cut in half
Salt to taste
- Put the tomatoes in a saucepan with the butter, onion, and salt.
- Cook uncovered at a very slow, but steady simmer for about 45 minutes, or until it is thickened to your liking and the fat floats free from the tomato.
- Stir from time to time, mashing up any large pieces of tomato with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Taste and check for salt.
- Discard the onion before tossing with pasta (however I often blend this into the sauce)
- Serve with freshly grated parmesan. Enjoy!