This is a classic combination of flavours with a hidden surprise. If you are feeling the need to be a little more healthy they are equally delicious with or without frosting. If poppy seeds aren't your thing you can leave them out if you really must.
The cake batter recipe is based on Dan Lepard's Sour Cream Butter Cake in his book Short and Sweet but has been adapted quite a lot.
175g unsalted butter, softened
225g caster sugar
3 medium eggs
200g sour cream (I used 0% fat greek yogurt and it still worked perfectly well)
200g plain flour
3tsp baking powder
Zest of a lemon
1 tsp lemon extract
10g poppy seeds (optional)
Lemon curd (approx 4 tbsps)
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F/Gas 4 and place 12 muffin cases in the tray.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy then add the eggs in one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Beat in the sour cream or yogurt then add the lemon zest, extract and poppy seeds.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and beat in until all the mixture is combined.
- Next place a spoonful of the batter into each case, it should come about a third of the way up the case.
- Smooth the batter out so that the bottom of the base is completely covered. Now place a teaspoon of lemon curd in the centre of each case.
- Add a couple of more spoons of batter to each case so that they are full almost to the top but not quite.
- Place in the oven and bake for around 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out cleanly.
- Allow the cupcakes to cook completely before frosting then decorate however you choose. I opted for a simple mascarpone frosting with a little more lemon rind to continue the zingy flavour throughout.