Fruity, chocolatey, indulgent and easy. You really can't go wrong these cupcakes. The batter is easy to make and incredibly moist and based on the chocolate fudge cake recipe from the Black Cat Cafe in Cambridge. For a variation try my chocolate and salted caramel cupcakes.
I got 12 cupcakes from this batter.
100g plain chocolate
1/2 cup water
1 cups caster sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
3/4 cups self-raising flour
Good quality black cherry jam. I used this one.
1 quantity of malted chocolate frosting.
- Preheat the oven to 170C or 150C fan. Place the paper cases in the tray.
- Break the chocolate up in to pieces and put in a heavy based saucepan. Add the water, butter, cocoa and sugar then heat over a low heat until the chocolate is melted and the sugar is dissolved.
- Cool for about 20 minutes.
- Sift in the flour and add the eggs and mix thoroughly until combined. Pour a little into the each paper case so it come about 1/3 of the way up the case.
- Put a generous teaspoon of the jam into each case.
- Next cover the jam with the remaining batter then place in the oven for 20-25 minutes or so. Be careful not to over cook these cupcakes because you want them to still be moist inside.
- Decorate with the frosting once they have cooled completely.